For those new to 3D design, printing and additive manufacturing, we did all the work for you, browsed the web and harvested some of the best links for a great introduction. Enjoy.
1. 3D Printing
2. Learn the technology
- Adventures in Invention: Printing Objects
- What is Rapid Prototyping?
- Shapeways.com gives (a) simple 4 steps procedure and (b) quick overview on materials
- Alphaprototypes.com writes how it works on rapid Prototypes and 3D Models
- Knock yourself out with YouTube videos on 3D printing
- The 3D File format being used on 3D printing
- Prepare your model for 3D printing (PDF)
- What is the difference between an RP machine and a 3D printer?
- Almost Everything you always wanted to know about 3D scanning
- Google Books: Rapid prototyping: principles and applications
- Terminology Update
This section updated on 8 June , 2011
3. Is 3D printing for you? See finished products yourself.
See what you can do with 3D printing, a gallery from ThingLab UK.
4. How to get started?
- Starting off with 3D scanner from 3DDynamics
- 3D product design using CAD, PDM software from PTC
- Find The Dimension 3D Printer That’s Right For You
5. Weblog, groups and community help are available
6. Material and Sources?
7. Perhaps Job opportunities?
8. Want more?
- The RepRap Project